Friday, January 4, 2013

I Love it When They Laugh


My sister, Lynn, arrived in Havasu after Christmas, to spend time with my mother and me. While she was here I read her my work in progress (WIP), which is about 1/3 of the way through the first draft. It brought back memories of when I read the early drafts of Lessons to her, many years ago.

Sisters are different than friends. Friends may be hesitant to tell you if your story is missing something – or is basically, crap. Thing about sisters, even if they want to tell you your book is good, when it is bad – they normally can’t pull it off. At least my sister can’t. We are too close, and know each other too well.

So I was tickled when she really got into the story – and started laughing out loud at just the right parts.

For almost two months I had been having a problem committing to a new manuscript. I kept hopping from one project to another, leaving first chapters scattered all over my hard drive. Finally, I settled on my current WIP.

It seems I made the right choice, if my sister’s reaction is any indication. Now, I just need to figure out a title. And, finish the book, of course.

Photo: My older sister, Lynn and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment